Sign up to STOMP
Stopping the over-medication of people with a learning disability, autism or both
VODG invites all social care providers for people with a learning disability, autism or both to sign up to STOMP. Signatories commit to making and sustaining real change that improves people’s quality of life by completing a self-assessment of their organisational performance against each of the pledge commitments and using this as the basis for a STOMP development plan.
The STOMP Pledge
We pledge to act in the best interests of the people we support at all times by:
- Actively promoting alternatives to medication such as active support, intensive interaction or positive behaviour support.
- Ensuring the people we support, and their circle of support, are involved in decisions about their care, including their medication.
- Ensuring all staff have an understanding of psychotropic medication, including its main uses and side effects.
- Encouraging staff to speak up if they have a concern that a person we support may be overmedicated.
- Maintaining accurate records about the health, wellbeing and behaviour of the people we support.
- Supporting people to have regular reviews of their medication.
- Monitoring the use of psychotropic medication.
- Working with people with a learning disability, autism or both, their families, health professionals, commissioners and others to stop overmedication. This includes working closely with prescribers.
We will set out the actions we will take and report annually on the progress we have made.