Current VODG Publications
- Using assistive technology to support personalisation in social care: This VODG and NCF report shows, assistive technology doesn‘t need to be expensive or complicated. It does, however, need a shift in attitude towards the individuals we support, transferring the focus from someone’s disabilities to their abilities.
Download 'Assistive Technology Report' (PDF, 938Kb)
- Information is power: arguing for a return to care ratings: Report from VODG and NCF outlining why a fresh system is needed to rate care homes and explains why the current regime is inadequate.
Download 'Information is power' (PDF, 2Mb)
Download Print-Friendly Report: Information is power (387Kb)
- Advocacy: a voice for our future: Better safeguarding, greater personalisation and improved support planning are among the benefits of advocacy, as outlined in a report from the VODG.
Download 'Advocacy: a voice for our future' (PDF, 800Kb)
- Workforce planning: innovations in recruitment: The VODG has been working with the Centre for Workforce Intelligence and VODG member Certitude who describe in this ‘In Focus’ paper how they have recruited and trained for social care work, helping to build workforce capacity in their organisation.
Download 'In Focus' Issue One (PDF, 1.7Mb)
- What's changing in the NHS: This briefing has been produced for VODG & NCF members working as joint DH Strategic Partners. The briefing aims to increase awareness of the health and social care changes happening right across the NHS and local government.
Download What's changing in the NHS (PDF 536Kb)
- Preparing for CQC inspection: This new booklet has been co-produced by CQC and the Care Providers Alliance - including the VODG, to help you be ready for and understand a CQC inspection. The booklet will help you understand how CQC check your compliance with the regulations. It also includes practical suggestions for things you may want to consider in preparation for an inspection.
Download Preparing for CQC inspection (PDF 170Kb)
- The Public Services (Social Value) Bill: These two briefings explains why VODG members need to be mindful of the new provisions contained in the Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012.
Download Public Services Briefing (PDF 130Kb)
Download Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012 - Briefing for VODG Members (PDF 128Kb)
- Top Ten Tips When Choosing a Support Provider: New piece of work from the VODG marketing group, Top Ten Tips When Choosing a Support Provider, a user-friendly guide to purchasing care. The guide is aimed at anyone who needs to buy support for themselves, a friend or relative. It aims to help you learn what to look for when choosing a provider and the questions to ask in sourcing and paying for support.
Download 'Top Ten Tips When Choosing a Support Provider' (PDF 72Kb)
Download easy-read version (PDF 2.5Mb)
- Another Way: transforming people’s lives through good practice in social care: A VODG report published in response to the Winterbourne View scandal which exposed the abuse of people with complex learning disabilities at a care unit in Bristol.
Download VODG Report, 'Another Way' (PDF 616Kb)
- When is a Care Home not a Care Home: This briefing looks at the issue of how the Care Quality Commission (“CQC”) determines whether a service should be registered as a care home or not. Joint Report by VODG and Anthony Collins Solicitors.
Download Full Briefing (PDF 144Kb)
- What can Voluntary and Community Organisations offer to GP Commissioning Consortia? Abby Lee at RAISE and Jenny Harlock (NCF/VODG) have co-produced a briefing for GP consortia.
Download Full Briefing (PDF 306Kb)
- VODG Briefing Note - Agency Workers Regulations 2010: The Agency Workers Regulations 2010 come into force on 1 October 2011. Joint Report by VODG and Anthony Collins LLP.
Download Agency Workers Regulations 2010 (PDF 138Kb)
- Maximising Service Outcomes: the contribution of capital finance and assets. Joint Report by VODG and Centre for Public Service Partnerships. Download 'Maximising service outcomes' Report (Word Doc 122Kb)
- Not In My Backyard: VODG report calling for action on NIMBYist local authorities. Download 'Not In My Backyard' Report (PDF 2Mb)
- Gain Without Pain: A VODG report on how the voluntary sector can save time and money. Download Full 'Gain Without Pain' Report (PDF 2.5Mb)
- Uncertain Futures: The VODG Response to the social care Green Paper.
- Shadow Lands: A VODG report in to transitions from youth to adult services. Download 'Shadow Lands' Report (PDF 450Kb)
- No Place Like Home: A VODG report into disputes about people's place of ordinary residence. Download 'No Place Like Home' Report (PDF 626Kb)
For copies of any of the above reports please email email@example.com
The NHS Constitution: what you need to know
In January 2010 an NHS Constitution was published setting out the values and principles of the NHS. This briefing sets out some of the most relevant principles for anyone commissioning, providing and using National Health Service care. It was produced by NCPC, the National Care Forum and the VODG as Department of Health Strategic Partners. This briefing is available as a free download from the NCPC website
The Care Funding Calculator
Nationally agreed protocol to inform use of the calculator. Download 'Care Funding Calculator' (PDF 106Kb)